The 2014 Games of the Year awards are designed to highlight the games that “define our platform and captivate our players” according to Facebook.
Each year Facebook trawls through all the games with the best player ratings, implementation, game quality, and popularity to identify the best games; Facebook staff also get to choose their favourites.
Unsurprisingly perhaps it was a matching game that came out on top, given the huge popularity of that genre of game this year. But it was cookies not candy that won the day this year, with SGN’s Cookie Jam winning the award. You need to match specific ingredients to complete recipes and go through the levels – a formula that quickly racked up over million users within months of release.
Facebook selected nine games in its Best New Games category, in no particular order, as follows:
- Bubble Witch Saga 2 (King)
- Candy Crush Soda Saga (King)
- Hero Defense (Shang Game Co)
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood (Glu)
- Klondike: The Lost Expedition (Vizor Interactive)
- League of Angels (Youzu Interactive)
- Old Vegas Slots (DGN Games)
- Sparta: War of Empires (Plarium)
- SuperCity (Playkot)
Five games were selected in the Best Mobile Games category, based upon how effectively users log in using Facebook. These were named as follows:
- Boom Beach (Supercell)
- Crazy Taxi: City Rush (SEGA Networks)
- Disco Bees (Space Inch Scopely)
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff (TinyCo)
- Star Wars: Commander (Disney Interactive)
Two other categories completed the selections. Firstly we have the Facebook Staff Favourites:
- Cower Defense (Bekla Technologies)
- Dino Hunter: Deadly Shores (Glu)
- OMG! Fortune Free Slots (LuckyFish Games)
- Solitaire 3 Arena (Mavenhunt)
- Throne Rush (Nexters)
Lastly we have the Hall of Fame which recognises games that came out before 2014 and which have achieved somewhat legendary status on Facebook:
- Bingo Blitz (Playtika Santa Monica / Caesars Interactive)
- Caesars Casino (Playtika /Caesars Interactive)
- Top Eleven Be a Football Manager (Nordeus)
- Words with Friends (Zynga)
- Zynga Poker (Zynga)
Interestingly, the ever-popular Criminal Case which won the Facebook Game of the Year in 2013 didn’t even get a mention this year!